Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2012

Progress

Got the labs drawn. Got the MyPlate entries made in the iPhone. Got a lot of "stuff" done today--Monday is the first day of school for my kids, and there are lots of last minute things to accomplish.

Didn't make dinner. :( Planned and bought, hamburger thawed, but there was a ModBod parking lot sale tonight, and I had to get there early so there would be anything worth buying.

Tomorrow is another day, and I'm ready for it!

From the time I was about ten--maybe even eight--I started wearing makeup here and there. Loved makeup, hairdos, dressing up, doing my nails. I really got into it more as a teen, bought out Avon all my life --makeup and jewelry-- until I joined Mary Kay, and then I REALLY went hogwild on the beauty scene.

Here I am teetering on the edge of 300 pounds. I haven't had my hair cut in at least 3 years. I haven't colored it in longer than that...much longer. I rarely wear any makeup or jewelry, except my newish earrings on Sundays. It's been a coon's age since I did my nails--excepting going out to Reno for the wedding last month. And I got to thinking. With how much I used to love making myself into my view of femininity, why have I given up? Did I feel ugly before I got fat? Or did the fat make me feel ugly and then I gave up on my womanhood? I can't help wondering if this is somehow all wrapped up in the mess of mother-ness, my screwed up view of what the difference between motherhood and regular personhood and sexuality is to me. Oh, how I thought (and hoped) that I had put that freakish period of my life behind me years ago.

Instead of rewarding myself or comforting myself with food, what if I did some of the old things? New nail polish or hair color? Maybe I thought I didn't have the money to spend on myself. I probably didn't. But it's time to dig $5 out of the couch or somebody's winter coat and "pamper" myself here and there. I obviously found the money to spend on potato chips, so if I give those up, I can certainly afford a lipstick!

If I felt a little better about myself, maybe I'd go out more--do the things that my spirit feels driven to try, but then I look in the mirror and tell myself that fat ladies don't go climbing rock walls or run 5K's. Or even go to the local yarn shop to take a tatting class. Something I've longed to do for 20 years! But I don't want to go out. Don't want to see people or make new friends. Don't see my own value to others.

Hubby gave me some $$ to get my hair done a couple of weeks ago. Still not done. But I got the scissor-happy daughter to chop it off at my shoulders a few days ago in order to trap myself into the hairdo. I think I'm going to the stylist next Friday. (I keep nipping at the ragged ends, last time with nail clippers, so the hairstylist HAS to happen.)

So that's it. Today's journaling. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but Connie, my PA, said to do it, so doing it.

NO FEAR!

1 comment:

  1. You do love being pretty, way more than I do, and even _I_ put makeup on all summer. Sure, I had a J-O-B (which was really the internship) that made me do it, but I felt better when I did get in the habit.

    Proof. You don't put makeup on when you feel good about yourself, you put it on and it helps the process along. :D

    Post a picture of the scissor-happy haircut! I once had a scissor-happy sister... ;)

    ReplyDelete