Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Starting Over

What exactly is a food journal? It is apparently much more than a list of what a person eats. It is a journal of the individual's experience with food, relationship, awareness, consumption, alternatives, etc. After my first counseling appointment with my doctor regarding my weight in over 2 years, I was counseled to keep a food journal along with a list of Go-To's. Go'To's are something like lifelines. If you're stuck--can't get that food out of your head, can't stop craving--you "go to" your lifeline list and figure out something else to do instead of eat. Counseling. For food. No. I am a food addict. I admit it. And I think counseling is a good thing. But not now. I want a food support group. Like AA, only for people who eat chocolate cake in their closet so no one else can see them eating it. Absolutely crushing statistic. My doctor said that the average American quitting an addiction has to quit 7 times before succeeding. Another journey--not to lose weight, but to feel better and to walk a 5K next summer. Grah. Can't journeys ever be fun or easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment