Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Orange chicken with rice and broccoli


There's a Chinese/American restaurant on the corner of our street and the highway. My two favorite things there are halibut with a delicious, delicate egg breading thing on it and orange chicken. Yuummmm. My whole family *except the teenaged girl, who likes NOTHING I make* likes the orange chicken. Since we are doing gluten free again, you don't buy breaded chicken and who-knows-what in the sauce from the Chinese place. :( It's disappointing, but health is paramount, right? And what you do is focus on what you CAN eat--which is almost anything, if you get a decent recipe for it!

I told my son at the store yesterday--when I saw how down he was because there was so much he couldn't have--that I understood. Because I do, now that I'm working toward weight loss. And I was on his diet for 2 years while I was nursing him, so I really DO get it. And he knows it.

This was magnificent! *hyperlink to the source of recipe* It needs a bit of tinkering. It's made with orange juice concentrate, and I found it a bit TOO concentrated. Also I put red pepper flakes in it, and it was a bit too hot. And it cooked down too quickly in the crockpot, too. I had it on high for one hour, and the sauce was already crisping. Turned it to low for 2 hours, and it was really bordering on burned. I think adding a little bit of water would fix both the burning problem and the concentrated orange problem. My kids liked it but wanted it a little bit cooler.

Add some Uncle Ben's Ready Rice in roasted chicken flavor (which to the best of my knowledge is gluten free) and some broccoli, and it's another tasty restaurant-quality dinner to enjoy without getting sick! Cheap, too. I think I paid about $5 for the whole dinner.

Drawback: After cooking a labor-intensive dinner three days in a row and doing the clean up, I'm exhausted. Ridiculous, but that's fibro for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment